Sunday, February 8, 2009

Start where you are

I've been reading "Start Where You Are" (by Pema Chodron) for the past 3 months. I'm a fast reader, but this book does not lend itself to a quick read. I've been reading it a few pages at a time, and letting the days pass and the lessons sink in.

This is not a post about the book, though. It is about how great the concept of "starting where you are" is.

Last week, I started participating in a mentoring program offered by my employer. My mentor, the head of our training and development division, is an accomplished leader who has risen up the ranks. I enjoyed listening to the story of her career journey and one phrase she said caught me--"Start where you are." She said that career development can happen right this moment at your job. The opportunities are there, to practice professionalism, to grow as a leader, and to develop one's management style.

It all sounds so elementary, doesn't it? You may be thinking, yeah, yeah, I know I have opportunities at my workplace, yadiyadiyada. But STOP. Take a step back. Now think about that annoying colleague you have who seems to keeps shoving more work to your side. That's an opportunity to practice assertiveness and maybe some political savvy at work. The difficult customer at the other end of the line? Perfect time to play those "troubleshooting and customer service skills." How about technical difficulties at work? Maybe it's time to begin learning shortcuts and other ways to better use your company software/OS/app instead of calling helpdesk for the 5th time this month.

When my mentor told me to start where I am, all the things I used to complain about began to appear as chances for self-improvement. Whereas in the past, my thinking would have been, oh, I'll go to training for that or maybe I'll learn managerial skills when I take my MBA.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a masochist who will try to lap up difficult situations just because they're teachable/learning moments.

However, I do find that sometimes I get so busy and the day passes by so quickly nary a thought to reflect on how I treated people and how my work contributed to my organization's goals. On some days I find myself trudging through work not being aware how it all relates to the bigger picture.

Learning to start where I am is akin to having a compass. All that I do, what I say, and how I treat people with dignity leads to something down the road. I can look back at my actions and see how they all lead to my true north.

No comments:

Post a Comment